Long Weekends are a Garage/Pop band based out of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This three piece group first released a four song EP that was recorded at Echo Chamber studios in Halifax entitled Warmer Weather in March of 2011 and before they even played a show they begin to receive publicity and appear on bands to watch lists. The bands sound is simple to describe, it’s Garage, Punk, Pop and it’s catchy as hell. The band is made up of Noel Macdonald on guitar/vocals, Devin Peck on bass and Adam Hartling on drums. Prior to forming Long Weekends, Devin Peck and Noel Macdonald were in a Punk band, which after putting together some songs folded. Macdonald and Peck did some work on the songs, citing influences such as The Chameleons, The Smiths and 80s Post-Punk groups as their main inspiration behind the songs reworking, and after finding Hartling Long Weekends were born.
“Shame On You” was the second release was made available for free via their bandcamp page in October of 2011. In January 2012 the band has released their first physical release the Don’t Reach Out seven inch, all of their releases prior to Don’t’ Reach Out have been available in digital form only and currently the seven inch is only available through the Noye Records website. It should also be noted that all of the bands artwork for the two major releases (Warmer Weather and Don’t Reach Out) was done by Yorodeo a prominent screen/print designer in Canada. The bands philosophy is simple, they love to write and make music and hopefully they continue to do so for some time.
Check out Long Weekends bandcamp to hear some more of their music.
This week's play list:
1. The Long Weekends – Don’t Reach Out
2. Brazilian Money – Give Up That Dog
3. Hands & Teeth – Sound of Hamilton
4. Heavy Chains – Commo Wire
5. Exxotone – Big Shot
6. Neverever – Mexicoco
7. NoBunny – Blow Dumb
8. Telepathe - Destroyer
9. Tumours – Twilight Zone
10. Vendetta – I Wanna Be A Star
11. The Tranzmitors – Teenage Filmstar
12. The Embers – I Walked All Night
13. Cake – Moustache Man (Wasted)
14. The Phantom Chords – Swamp Thing
15. The Damned – Politics
16. The Howlies – Zombie Girl
17. Link Wray – Deuces Wild
18. Harlem – LSD Saves
19. Seven Story Redhead - Don't Wanna Know
20. The Saints – Run Down
21. The Velvet Underground – One of These Days
22. Nervus Rex - There She Goes
23. Magazine - Boredom (BBC Session)
24. Bob Dylan – Positively 4th Street (Live April 13th, Sydney, Australia 1966)
To download this weeks program, visit CJAM's schedule page for Revolution Rock and download the file for January 24. Or subscribe to Revolution Rock as a Podcast.